Set your 2012 intention to conserve energy and help restore the environment - what are you prepared to do for your home, for your community? Sit down as a family and come up with a plan and targeted goals to save.
1 . Change from incandescent to energy-efficient light bulbs
2. Install and use programmable thermostats (wear sweaters and set low)
3. Close and lock windows
4. Make sure fireplace dampers are closed after every use and considering lock-top dampers
5. Have ducts cleaned periodically so air flow is more balanced
6. Do more cold water washes and line dry
7. Turn down the temperature on your hot water heater –110-120 degrees should be sufficient
8. Use power strips to turn off electronics from the source
9. Replace appliances with Energy Star rated appliances
10. Seal ductwork with mastic, a rubbery paint
11. Install energy-efficient window shades
12. Maintain your heating and cooling systems for greater efficiency
13. Air seal and insulate your home for year-round comfort and savings
In concert, we could significantly reduce energy consumption in our homes and in our communities and that means reduced green house gas emissions. Let’s be able to look back on 2012 and say we lived our intention and met our goals!